Saturday, September 29, 2012

No, really. I'll pay cash.

Word of warning: when traveling for more than 1 day, count the remaining pills in the bottle very carefully. When you begin to take medication for depression, they are very serious to point out that you cannot simply stop taking them for any reason if you decide you don't want them anymore. Bad things can happen to your body. When beginning to take any new medication, you must start small and build the drugs up in your system. When you increase from a standard dose to a higher dose, you do the same thing - so when I went from 20 mg to 40 mg, I started with 20, went to 30, and eventually evened out at 40.

But life gets in the way. I was planning and packing for my week long vacation when I got the call that my father was in the hospital. My brain has been spinning ever since. So I did not count properly and as of yesterday ran out. Now, I've accidentally forgotten to take a pill here and there, with no real problems or side effects having missed one dose. But we're at day two of no meds and I'm starting to get somewhat worried - not because I think I'll go off the deep end or because I'm feeling badly, but because I know that I could start to get massive headaches and have an ever harder time dealing with my current situation unless I can somehow get the meds I need.

Also take in account that I'm not going home today - where I have a stash of 20 mg I could take. I'm currently in the Tucson Airport waiting to board a flight to Chicago. I've got to make a presentation over lunch tomorrow for around 15 people, and I'd really rather be at my best at that point, and not about to pull my hair out and scream. It's hard enough to get through these days as it is. Cut to yesterday, where I had to call my psychiatrist on her emergency line to ask her to call in an Rx to a Chicago pharmacy somewhat near my hotel. First - she's only licensed to practice medicine in California. (Duh, woman.) Second - I could have her fill the script at my local store, and they could have it transferred to a Chicago store. Great! I find a store using my smartphone, and Bob's your uncle, all things are good in Who-ville. Third - I call the store today to make sure the script will be ready when I arrive tonight, and guess what? The pharmacy is closed on the weekends. The next pharmacy? Closes at 4. My flight gets into O'Hare at 6.

The next best bet is a 24 hour pharmacy over a mile from the original store. I call them, and they are quite confused by the entire debacle. But I finally get to explain the situation, and she thinks she can help me. The only issue is that the other Rx has already been filled and charged to my insurance by the other pharmacy. Therefore, something that usually costs me $20/month will be... well, much more. I have no idea how much I'll have to pay once I get there, but I'm sure it won't be pretty. And now I know that next time, the costs of not taking enough medication with me on trips is not only stupid, but costly. Another lesson learned. Let's just hope that once I arrive in Chicago it works out. (Oh, and let's not forget that the airline I had to take to fly in & out of Tucson is currently experiencing pilot strikes which has lead to delays and cancellations this week...) The fun continues.

No comments: