Tuesday, July 1, 2008

This is starting to feel like a "real" job...

And you know how much I attempt to steer clear of that.

Monday morning drive to the Anaheim Convention Center wasn't too bad. The traffic was minimal and I was able to stop by a Jack-in-the-Crack on the way for a tiny breakfast thing & a big cuppa fruit. (I'm working on the healthy lifestyle, I really am!) Now, not only did I used to live around that area for 2 years, but I've also been to Disneyland in the last 2 months. And yet... I'm in the far left lane, according to Yahoo maps, prepared to turn left onto Katella...

and I pull into the Disneyland parking lot. The funniest thing about that, I think, is that when I pulled in and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come in here!", the guy just walked over to the other side of the booth & grabbed a neon pink slip of paper that said EXIT, slipped it under my windshield wiper & pointed. As if to say, "Okay, dumbass. Get out of my sight."

So I finally park and get over to the auditorium at 12, go through registration, and meet with my crew at 12:15. I immediately ask my little 24 year old colleague if she brought the paperwork I needed for my meeting that afternoon. She didn't. (The project wasn't completed in time for me to grab it Friday afternoon, so she offered to bring it for me.) So instead of wandering all around the convention to see what all was around and fun, I spent the next hour and a half standing in line at the tiny little Fed Ex booth waiting to use their computer & printer. Unfortunately once I got the spreadsheet open, I realized that it was over 50 pages, unformatted. So I printed out what I thought were the most important pages, ran to the restroom to put yet another band-aid on my aching feet (word to the wise - though they look cute, hells are NEVER good to wear all day long and I know better), and headed back over to our company's booth.

Now, I was absolutely positive that my meeting wasn't until 4 pm, so when the gals said they were going to lunch around 1:30, I figured I had enough time to walk over with them and get back in plenty of time. My Sales guy came over to tell me it was actually at 3, not 4, and they didn't end up leaving until after 2:30 anyway, so no go there. The meeting was... interesting. Not really knowing what to expect from this particular customer, I mostly just listened and piped in here and there when there was something I actually understood & could contribute. Mostly I think we took the meeting so that the head woman could vent at us. She was quite the character, really. Not mean at all, just kind of intense. All in all, it was a decent first attempt at meeting with a big customer. (Mostly because I kept quiet and nodded a lot.)

Did I mention that by about 10 minutes into this Convention Center I was dripping with sweat? I was told to wear a business pants suit, as were all of my colleagues. I was the only one who did so. My two little early-20's cohorts were dressed very nicely, but in little skirts and breezy blouses. If only I had that kind of wardrobe... but I don't and I can't tell you how disgusted I was with the sheer volume of fluids pouring out the back of my head. It's just not right. Not right at all.

The ride home was a bit traffic laden, since I left Anaheim right smack dab in the middle of rush hour traffic, but man oh MAN was I glad to be home. And then there were only 3 more work days left in the week!

Happy early 4th of July!

No comments: